Sunday 3 December 2017

Aha!

I had an aha moment during the discussion today, because I was able to see how there were no separate topics, identities, or discussions happening.  Every topic mentioned was connected to another.  I am beginning to understand that embodiment - linking this entire experience together with how it is lived, how we understand it - our knowledge does not exist separately as only a thought, but is experienced and lived as well.  Isn't this what an aha moment is?  Today our topics of discussion were

multiple professional identities
psychology of dance and the psycho-social elements
discipline - feedback and communication
and flavour, technique, belly dance



In today's Sunday discussion several topics were discussed and considered by those of us who were on the call.  We talked about multiple professional identities and the transition from being the dancer to the teacher.  Are they different - really - or is the dancer the teacher and the other way around.  We can certainly consider them separately, because there is the responsibility of focusing on the student. However, as a dancer one has the autonomy to get lost in oneself, dependent upon the dance setting.  Do we need to fix ourselves in these identities? Perhaps we can observe and accept them as they demonstrate themselves as we move from dancer to teacher to choreographer.

We also spoke about psychological process and how we think about our practice.  Are we empowering our students?  What baggage do we bring into the class?  Is this mental baggage or simply an understanding based on our own perception and the way we see the world and our dance practice?

Where does discipline fit into this and how do we communicate and provide feedback in the dance setting? How does this feedback change dependent upon the context.  Where does flavour, technique, and style affect us as dancers, teachers, and choreographers?

I

2 comments:

  1. Brandon, it was a real pleasure to read your reflections on our Sunday discussion. I was also amazed to see that all the topics were connected. As far as it concerns the transition from dancer to teacher, I think that this transition signals the transformation from a more -only me- framework to a more -us- framework. From me to the student. If that makes sense.. However, I consider your point of view on this subject and it creates even more questions for me. Thanks though it was very enlightening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brandon, this was useful to me as I was unable to take part this weekend. I have found my feedback not only changes with context but also with age. Theirs & mime. Younger students require my feedback not only to suit their vocabulary but to be "fun". My older students often need to be carefully handled as the feelings of self worth are in perpetual motion, swinging back and forth. My age has affected this, as a young "cool" teacher I feel my responses where different in delivery and acceptance by my students; As an older teacher they are viewed in a very different way, I do feel the responsibility of careful well thought out pronouncements. The psychological process especially regarding inner and outer perception really fascinate me. I will look out for the next conference and try to attend

    ReplyDelete